We are well into rehearsals for our shows “Beauty & the Beast” and “Peter Pan medley”, and we’re counting
down to our performances at the Lower Hutt Little Theatre in September (week of 14-20th).
While teachers and children are working hard on dances, songs and scripts, we (parents) need to make sure
that costume and staging is up to their standard!
During the second week of the July School Holidays (13-17th) we will run rehearsals for all children. During
this week we will also fit your child with costumes and props – at least four costumes for each of the 90
children in our cast!
Rehearsals will run like a holiday programme from 9am to 3pm in the Wellington Venue: 61 Hopper St,
Te Aro. I will stay in the venue for a while after 3pm if kids need to be picked up a little later.
If you will be away on holiday that week, please let us know ASAP.
At that time we will also run a Sewing and Prop Construction Bee, and if you can donate some time we’d
greatly appreciate it!
Costumes and Props
How can you help? Musical Stars in Performance is a Charitable Trust. Every year we need to source and
create our fabulous costumes and props. To view examples of our previous productions please visit the gallery.
While there is a small show levy every year to help with costs, this is nominal and we are very fortunate to have
the goodwill of our families who contribute their time and talent to getting our shows to the stage!
While we endeavour each year to recycle and recreate costumes from our existing stock, this year we have a big
show and there are a number of new costumes to be made and lots of props to find and construct. We are
asking for your help with this! While we will also organise Working Bees there may also be a number of things
that we ask all families to pull together at home.
At this time we are asking for volunteers who could help us in the process of creating and designing the
costumes. We have saved some ideas in Pinterest:
- Beauty and the Beast: http://www.pinterest.com/talitaarchibald/beauty-and-the-beast/
- Peter Pan: http://www.pinterest.com/talitaarchibald/peter-pan/
Feel free to add your own.
Maria McCarthy who helped construct WOW costumes has generously offered to help us design all the
tableware costumes for “Be our Guest”. We will have a sewing bee for those costumes on: Saturday 20th of
June from 10am onwards at 20 Howard Rd, Point Howard. Closer to the day we will let you know
what we’ll need (sewing machines, paint, wood…). There will be a job for all of you!
We also need help collecting props and pre-made costumes. So have a rummage in the dress-up box
and keep an eye out for anything you thing would fit the bill. Items needed include:
- Peter Pan
- Lost Boys (animal onesies)
- All the kids will need black shoes, or slip on black shoes
- Beauty dress (yellow dress)
- Prince costume
- Any beauty and the beast costume you have
- 1700 century peasant costume
- Metal Beer Mugs (or camping cups maybe). Plastic could work too
If you have anything that fits the bill please bring it along to class!
- Sewing/Construction Bee: Saturday 20th of June from 10am onwards, 20 Howard Rd, Point Howard
- Source costumes and props related to Beauty and the Beast and Peter Pan
- Holiday Rehearsals: Monday 13th of July – Friday 17th of July, from 9am till 3pm @ 61 Hopper St, Te Aro. Sewing/Construction Bee happening at the same time
Talita and the Musical Stars team